Farewell Summer, farewell! I must be one of the few people who are elated that this hot & humid Summer is gone (knock on wood – because Indian Summer may attack us!!). We’ve been having such lovely almost Fall like weather the past few days and it feels so wonderful not having the AC on at nighttime.
Another sign that we are moving into Fall is saying good-bye to the juicy peaches. While we were in South Carolina we enjoyed their wonderfully juicy and sweet peaches and brought some back with us. After eating enough peaches I decided to use the rest of them for making some healthy (well, at least I think it is) after school snack for my children.
I adapted today’s recipe from here; instead of chopped pecans I added chopped cooked chestnuts, mixed in some whole wheat flour and ground flaxseed, and decreased the amount of sugar.
- 3/4 cup chopped cooked chestnuts
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped fresh, ripe peaches
- 3/4 cup freshly grated carrots
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Stir together both flour and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl; add peaches, next 4 ingredients, and chopped cooked chestnuts, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter into a lightly greased 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
My opinion: Subtle sweetness of peaches infused with carrots and chestnuts!! I am so glad I added whole wheat flour and flaxseed! My children really enjoyed eating this for snacks!